Welcoming Zeta Eta to the DPhiE Family

For the last few months, I've been working for my sorority Delta Phi Epsilon (DPhiE) as a Collegiate Development Consultant or CDC for short. What that means is that I have been in charge of creating a new chapter at California State University, Los Angeles.

When I first got this job, I was extremely excited! I graduated from St. John's two years ago and one of the things I really missed about college life was my sisters. A majority of my sisters live on the East Coast, and I did not know too many on the West Coast, which is probably because the only active chapter close by was all the way up in Humboldt, California. But once I found out that they were going to open a chapter only 30 minutes away from me, I knew I wanted to somehow be part of this. So I applied to be a CDC, I thought it was a long shot but much to my surprise I got the job!

Since July, I've been working to start this chapter from the ground up. Luckily, I was not alone. I had a great team to help and support me along the way. We started with nothing, but with some hard work and a lot of persistence there ended up being 82 members of this founding class. Every single woman I met was amazing in her own special way. After getting all these women together, it was my job to introduce them to this great sisterhood of ours. They started as a colony and had to put in a lot of work to become recognized as a chapter. It within nine weeks, they learned everything they needed to know about the sorority. We met two to three times a week and at each meeting, they were curious and full of questions. Even though our meetings were generally serious all the time, they managed to bring in some fun and silly moments. We even got to share a couple laughs.

Their hard work paid off, last night they were officially chartered as the Zeta Eta chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon and each and every single one of these ladies were initiated as sisters.

In fact there was a big party to celebrate this momentous occasion. At Cal State LA, the Founders plus their friends and family members plus some local alumnae were all there to celebrate this huge accomplishment. It was a fun night, full of happiness and a lot of smiles.

But the real fun starts now for these ladies. Transitioning from a colony to a new chapter will be difficult, but I know in my heart that every single one of them is a strong and driven woman. When they have their mind made up, they do not give up easily. No matter what obstacles they have, they will persevere. Not just because they are the Founders but because these ladies are capable and they are going to do great things. I am so proud and honored that I get to call each and every single one of these women my sisters.

I know this post was a bit sappy, but it came straight from the heart. If you want to know more about the Zeta Eta chapter of DPhiE, follow their journey on Instagram at @CSULADPHIE.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate