Attraction: More Than Something Physical

We all have ideas of what attracts us when it comes to our partners. Physical characteristics are almost always the first thought of when we see someone we like. Is it their hair? Body? Eyes? Smile?

And there's always someone out there who claims they have a "type." We all know that one person who says they are only attracted to someone with blonde hair, blue eyes and rock hard abs.

We focus so much on our outer appearance, especially when it comes to dating. We always want to look our best for our partner. Guys will obsess over their hair and want to dress to impress. While ladies will primp and groom every inch of themselves. We want our partner to be attracted to us, of course. And of course we want to feel attractive as well, which is most likely why we get all dolled up.

While physical attraction is important in some aspects of a relationship, it's not the most important. The nonphysical characteristics are way more important when it comes to having a healthy relationship. When we fall in love, we don't fall for what the person looks like, we fall in love with who they are as a human being.

Character traits like kindness, ambition, intelligence, sense of humor, loyalty and etc is what everyone should look for in a potential partner, rather than searching for a certain "type" of person to fit to the "dream partner" we have set in our mind. Because as it turns out, most of time when we're looking for someone specific, we end up meeting someone unexpected. This can be explained by only Marshall Eriksen from How I Met Your Mother.

Marshall: Robin, it's like this. Do you know how many times in my life I've gone to the freezer looking for frozen waffles and not found them?

Robin: Thousands?

Marshall: Millions. But when I go to the freezer looking for a popsicle or the remote control because Lily and I are having a fight and she's hidden it there, do you know what I find? Frozen waffles. That's how it works. You go out there looking for a paper, you're coming back with frozen waffles. And in this case, frozen waffles is a guy.

This scene from How I Met Your Mother always seems so accurate, and it is a great metaphor for when you're looking for love. Think about all the times you were looking for someone to date. Most of the time it doesn't end well. But once you get used to the idea of being with yourself, that's when you find someone amazing.

When I first met my boyfriend, Andrew, I wasn't looking for a boyfriend. I was just trying to make it through my last year at university. I was focused on my studies and my sorority, and just mainly focused on me. But once we met, we started as friends and then we started to get to know each other and fall in love. Look at us now, we're in a long distance relationship that's been going on for a year and a half.

Obviously I thought he was cute, but what I liked most about him was his personality. He was funny, sweet and smart. Those three things were what made him so attractive. It wasn't his blonde hair or blue eyes (even though those are wonderful), it was who he was on the inside that made me fall in love with him.

If we judge based solely on what someone looks like, we could miss out on someone truly amazing. We could even miss out on our soulmate. Step out of your comfort zone when it comes to dating, if you meet an amazing person you get along with really well and sparks start to fly, take a chance! It might be the best decision you make. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate