DIY Colored Ornaments

The best part of Christmas, is the tree and the decorating of the tree. In my family, we always decorated our tree with a specific theme. And when you have a specific theme, it can be hard to find ornaments that match the theme. Some colors are impossible to find! And other times, you may just want some ornaments in a specific color.

Well this year my mom wanted to have an Ireland themed tree, and she could not find any orange ornaments. So we decided to make them, and I came up with a pretty clever idea on how to make them. Instead of painting these plain glass ornaments, like my mom thought of doing, I thought about taking the top of the ornaments off and putting the paint inside. And that ended up working pretty well! So here's what you'll need to do.

First you'll need to get clear glass ornaments. Michael's sells them, and I recently just got a pack to make my own ornaments for my tree and one six pack was only $2. Thank goodness for 50% off Christmas items! Then you'll also need paint, any colors you want! Personally I like the Craft Smart acrylic paint, which I think works best.

You really do not need much to make these ornaments. But if you want to get fancy, try adding some glitter or even get some paint pens to design them. Be creative! But for now, let's focus on getting this clear ornaments painted!

So first you're going to want to take off the top of the ornament (duh). Then add paint to the inside, add as much as you think you will need to cover the entire ornament. At first I wasn't adding enough and I had to keep adding more. But if you add more at one time it is easier to spread the paint.

Once the paint is spread throughout the ornament fully, set it aside to dry. I say leave them out to dry for maybe a day? The first time I tried this, I didn't let the ornaments dry long enough. Once they were put on the tree, all the paint ran down to the bottom and created a giant puddle. So let them dry, especially if you used a lot of paint.

I put my ornaments back in the box to dry and I left the caps off. The first time I put the caps back on. But this time I tried letting them dry with them off and they appear to be drying a lot quicker!

So there you have it! There are my basic colored ornaments! I think they turned out pretty well and so I wanted to share this little trick and technique. It could be a fun crafting activity with your family before you decorate the tree! Plus, you just made your own unique ornaments! No one else will have ones like this! So that makes them pretty special!!

Let me know if you try this DIY out! I'd love to see and hear how they turned out! Tweet or Instagram a picture of them and mention me or tag me: @heykaitlinmary, I'd love to see them! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate