Managing That Holiday Stress

The Holidays are a fun and festive time of the year, but for some us, it can be really stressful. Whether it is because of finances or time management or even just because there's a lot of work that needs to be done. The time before the holidays can be quite stressful.


If you're someone who stresses out quite easily, like myself, have no fear! Here are some of my little tricks and tips to managing stress.


The first step for handling your stress is actually realizing you're stressed. Sometimes, I don't even realize that I'm stressing out. It's become such a normal feeling. But that is not a healthy way to live. Think hard, what's stressing you out? Money? Time? A large workload? Once you figure it out, you're on your way to a less stressful holiday.


But Kaitlin, if I don't know why I'm stressing, how can I destress? Well my answer to that is to talk about what's going on in the pretty little head of yours. When I'm stressed but I don't know why, I talk to someone. That someone is always my boyfriend Andrew or my best friend Jorge, because they know me so well and they offer great advice. And when I need to rant they listen. So talk out your problems and feelings, I guarantee it will make you feel better.


After you talk it all out and finally realize the reason for your stress, it's time to take action. When I take action, I like to make lists and plan out everything I need to get done. List making really helps me destress and it's also very relaxing for me. Since I like to plan, this part is easy and enjoyable for me. When you make up a game plan it makes every day a little bit easier.


If money is a big stress for you, plan a budget. Set aside money for presents and shop when things are on sale. There's always a bunch of sales before Christmas. Plus there's always coupons! Or maybe next year try shopping for presents on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. And if you're really strapped for cash, try crafting or doing some sort of DIY gift. A gift from the heart is always better than some flashy expensive thing.


If time is a big concern for you, make lists! I can't say it enough, it really is very helpful. Planning accordingly will help with your time management. Make lists for the gifts you want to give and make a list of what you'd want to serve on Christmas before you go to the grocery store. And if you don't have time to make everything for Christmas, ask for help. If you're making some DIY gifts, host a crafting day with some of your friends or family. That way you get to spend time with your loved ones while being productive. But if you're making gifts for them, it's probably not a good idea. But if you're making gifts for friends, ask your family for help and vice versa. Or even host a baking or cooking day with your friends or family! Also if you don't have time cook every entree, make it a potluck and divide the work up.


If you still have a large workload after you planned and asked for help, well then you might be doing way too much. If you find yourself doing too much STOP. Take a deep breath and take a fifteen minute break. Go for a walk or jog! You'll feel much more energized and a little less stressed. Shoot if you're not getting enough sleep then take a nap, your body needs rest. Do something that makes you feel relaxed; catch up on your favorite TV show, read a book, or watch a movie. You need to do something to take your mind off your stress.


Sometimes we want to be able to do everything on our own, but that's not possible. We're not superheroes or superhuman. We need to be realistic and when you have a lot on your plate and more and more is added just say no if it's too much. You know your limits and no one wants you to be pushed over the edge. I hope my little tips helped and I hope your holidays are stress free! Until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Translate