If/Then Comes to the Pantages

The Broadway musical If/Then starring the talented, Idina Menzel has come to the Pantages Theatre in LA. When I first heard it was coming to town I could not contain my excitement. I've been dying to see this play! And in all honestly, I was dying to see Queen Idina perform live.

My parents are huge fans of Broadway too, so when my mom heard Idina was coming into town she bought the tickets. My dad didn't know exactly who she was, because let's face it most dads don't keep up with today's stars. They didn't know much about this play besides she was in it. But I did my research and gave them a brief synopsis. And when it arrived in LA on December 3, I anxiously awaited the day I would get to see this play.

So yesterday was the day my mind got completely blown away by the Queen herself, Ms. Idina Menzel. But it wasn't just because of her why I really enjoyed this play so much. If you've never seen If/Then or have no idea what it's about, let's break down the plot and overall meaning of the play.

To make it really simple, If/Then is about the choices we make and the outcomes. Idina plays Elizabeth, who is recently divorced and has a Ph.D. in urban planning. She moves to New York City to create a new life for herself. She meets two of her friends Kate (LaChanze) and Lucas (Anthony Rapp). Both of these friends symbolize the two paths of life she could take. If she follows the joyful and optimistic Kate, she becomes Liz and finds love. But if she follows the radical and activist Lucas, she becomes Beth and focuses solely on her career. Personally, I think everyone roots for Liz rather than Beth. Liz seems a lot happier than Beth, which goes to show you can have your dream career but if you don't have love you're missing out on a great part of life.

The story switches off from Liz to Beth quite frequently. And my dad described the play perfectly, by calling it schizophrenic. Because honestly it can be a tough story line to follow. If you stop paying attention for a minute you can be like is this Beth or Liz? The story is different and unique and I like the message behind it, one decision can alter your life drastically and create alternate timelines.

But besides the different storyline, the music is impeccable. And it's not just because of Idina's voice. Every voice in this play is amazing. Then again this is an all star cast. LaChanze won a Tony award for her role in The Color Purple and Anthony Rapp gave life to the character Mark Cohen in both the Broadway and film version of Rent. But you know who completely surprised me? James Snyder. When I was in 11th grade he came to my high school to talk to the marching band and drill team, and I was on the drill team. He was good friends with our band director, Ms. Stacy Burcham. I remember my friend Daniela and I took a picture with him because we thought he was super cute and he was in She's the Man. Little did we know he would end up on BROADWAY. But it's no surprise cause he's extremely talented.

There's so much talent in this play, it's almost too good to be true. All the voices are amazing and they all harmonize beautifully. Plus there's snarky and sarcastic humor throughout the play. And there's also moments when you'll find yourself tearing up. You'll experience so many emotions if (and when) you see this play.

I highly encourage everyone to see this play, even though theatre critics haven't been too generous when it comes to the reviews. Because honestly, it's not a bad play! The music is great, the cast is impeccable, and I just don't understand why some of the critics are just so mean and picking out every single flaw. Because you know what, as a lover of Broadway and from an entertainment standpoint, this play is entertaining and it delivers great music. Just because it's not like a classic Broadway play doesn't mean it is bad. The uniqueness of If/Then is what makes it so good and the reason why I enjoyed it so much.

If you're in the SoCal area and want to see If/Then, it will be at the Pantages until January 3, 2016. And then it will head down to San Diego and Costa Mesa. And if you live in another state check out the website for more tour dates! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate