My Proudest Moment: Finding Myself

My proudest moment is a moment that changed my life completely. When I was 19 years old, I decided to spend the fall semester of my junior year studying abroad in Seville, Spain, Rome, Italy, and Paris, France. Spending three months in three different countries without my closest friends or family taught me how to be independent and how to live on my own and take care of myself. During this time I discovered who I was as a person and learned a lot about myself.

While I spent my time in Spain, I was homesick a lot and I spent a lot of time by myself just exploring and walking around the city. I made a couple friends in my rotation, but being shy made it hard to put myself out there and be friendly and talk to others. Spain was lonely at first, I spent a lot of time in coffee shops thinking about writing about my journeys (I wish I would have done that) and taking photos and shopping.

But once I started to make friends, my inner explorer came out. My group of friends and I set out for Africa and we took an adventure to Morocco and truly experienced a whole new world and way of life. I even got to ride a camel!! The greatest animal and experience of my life. That was something to check off my bucket list, and since during that time the world was allegedly ending, so I wanted to make the most of my time abroad from there on out.

Next month I was on my way to Italy, one of my many motherlands. There I loosened up more, and channeled my inner Italiana. Here is where I learned, that I love to learn about other cultures and cities and their history.

Walking around Rome I was simply just fascinated and captivated by the city. I didn't care about the bars or night clubs, I loved the city and the culture. I drank cappuccinos and ate pasta and gelato daily. I admired the ancient ruins and the beautiful architecture that surrounded me.

My love for Italy didn't stop at Rome, I wanted to see more of Italy and see more of this amazing culture. So for my fall break, a close friend I made in Spain and I went on a ten day adventure and we traveled by train to Florence, Venice, Verona and Milan. Florence was a beautiful river city filled with art. Venice romanced me with the gondola rides through the canals. Fair Verona, where Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet lays their scene impressed me because of my love for literature and the arts. Milan, the fashion capital of the world inspired me to dress to impress.
We even made it to Athens, Greece on our ten day adventure. Since I was living in one ancient empire, I wanted to see another. Lucky for me, so did my friend. We both shared a love for mythology so going to Greece was a no brainer for us. We walked the ruins of the acropolis for hours and never got tired. Simply because we were in awe because of the amazing city we were in.

Saying goodbye to Italy was tough, I adapted well there but I was excited to make my way to Paris, the city of lights.

Traveling to Paris, was tougher than I thought it would be. I was excited to be in one of my favorite cities of all time, but my friends' negativity towards Paris put a damper on my time there. Constant complaining about the weather and how expensive it was tested my optimism. So instead of sulking with everyone else, I spent my free time enjoying what the city had to offer. Paris is rich with art, literature, fashion and all things creative and intellectual. I spent my time in museums, because I love museums. I loved looking at all the art. I spent an entire day getting lost in the Louvre by myself. I can proudly say I've been through the entire museum.

I climbed to the top of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe and saw what no one else could see: elegance. I studied French in high school so I could communicate a little, but after my time in Paris I realized I really wanted to be fluent in another language, several if I could handle it.

Traveling does teach you a lot about yourself, stuff you did not even think of, especially if you are on your own. It teaches you independence and I'm so glad I learned all about it when I did. Because after my three months abroad, I truly became an adult. Age doesn't make you an adult, legally yes, but mentally it's your wisdom and the lessons you learn in life that truly make you an adult. My time abroad made me wiser, and I grew up. But I never want to stop growing and I've grown more since then. I know my futures adventures will help me learn even more and more each day. Thanks for reading and until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate